Energetic change agent & MBA leverages adaptability & technical depth for success across digital marketing, software creation, and people/systems management
Returns organizations to profitability through digital, measureable revenue-generating sales and marketing efforts, aggressive cost cutting, managerial training and development and the implementation of simple, yet robust, systems.
Doubles departmental productivity through operational needs assessment, implementation of metrics, and embrace of daunting challenges as opportunities for experimentation and growth.
Thrives in Challenging Environments
Thrives in volatile, complex business environments by aligning technology solutions with business goals. Demonstrates robust determination to improve customer experience.
Entrepreneurial & Flexible
Entrepreneur in Residence of Michigan State University for 2015 and 2016 creates user-centric campaigns and fosters conversion-centered design and web/software development.
Author & Creator
Author of several e-books and resources related to marketing campaigns, apps and interface design, web design, and business acceleration.
Speaker & Radio Host
Accomplished speaker and radio show host who regularly speaks at Chambers of Commerce, the Small Business Development Center, entrepreneurship organizations, and trade associations on entrepreneurship, engineering digital marketing systems, and website optimization.
“You’ve got to worry about what’s coming up to stay ahead of the curve…”
– Phil Knight, Shoe Dog
A passionate leader, innovator, and change agent, Jesse is always looking for opportunities to stay ahead of the curve and create a winning edge.
Leadership & Management
- Staff Development
- Team Leadership
- Strategic Planning
- Systems Engineering
- Change Management
- Turnaround Management
- Cross-functional Execution
- Process Design & Management
Sales & Marketing
- Digital Marketing Optimization
- Content Planning
- Prospecting & Sales Automation
- Pipeline Management
- Website Development
- Netsuite ERP Scoping & Implementation
- Data Analytics & Dashboard Design
Elderly Instruments | Lansing, MI | 2017 – Present
Contract Chief Operating Officer
Returned a 45-year old, 60 employee retail organization to profitability after years of losses through the implementation of sales & marketing processes, cost-cutting, company re-organization, and technological upgrading.
- Conceived, wrote, and executed a 2017 plan that outlined core business initiatives and aligned the company to achieve a ~$400k swing in profitability; achieving the company’s first year of profitability in years.
- Researched, scoped, budgeted, and project managed the transition from Elderly Instrument’s legacy business systems to Netsuite. Coordinated efforts with Netsuite, Capgemini, and the Elderly Instruments team; oversaw the writing of all business requirements, timeline for implementation, and training initiatives. The $300k project was finished on time and on budget.
- Inaugurated a data-driven marketing team to leverage modern technology to implement more personalized approaches to marketing, improving customer acquisition, retention, and sales. Achieved > $1M in sales in a month for the first time in over 2 years
- Initiated a system of performance management and professional development to assess the contributions of each employee and to train the management team in core managerial competencies.
Leanlogy LLC | Lansing, MI | 2014-Present
SuperWebPros / Dynamic, conversion-centered website development and management service for small businesses across consultancy, food & beverage, sales, staffing, e-commerce, and retail industries
Chief Web Pro (2015-Present)
Manage 2-5 employees. Build websites to accelerate business growth, drive leads and sales, and delight end users with responsive support, cutting-edge technology, and increased customer engagement.
- Designed websites and marketing automation flows to increase user experience, improve customer conversion rates, and sell more product.
- Achieved 85% turnaround of customer support tickets within 24 hours, delighting customers and improving customer retention.
- Systematic prospecting and closing process resulted in close rates > 50%, while providing the staff with a comprehensive goals and needs assessment for website design.
- Create high quality custom websites including SEO, analytics packages, mobile-friendly design, and a host of other services such as lead-generating technology and copywriting within 5-6 weeks.
Cognite Labs / Software development startup specializing in complex web applications
Director of Sales & Marketing (2013-2015)
Drive client outreach and foster key relationships to meet global business technology needs. Lead developer team in aligning technology solutions with client goals. Consistently executed projects under budget and on time.
- Awarded $500K grant from Knight Foundation to build out survey weighting software tool, resulting in increased accuracy and data transformation.
- Outsourced 4 developer positions to Macedonia for hourly profit margin between $70-$100.
StartupLansing | Lansing, MI | 2014-Present
Founder & Business Development Consultant
Launched nonprofit startup support and consulting platform to champion various technology, fashion, and healthcare startups and forge thriving entrepreneurial community in Lansing.
Advise & coach over 50 startups using business model canvas to identify areas of risk and opportunity.
- Invited to serve as Entrepreneur in Residence for MSU Conquer Accelerator, a startup accelerator providing resources, $20K in seed funding, and knowledge support to 6 teams. Invited back for 2016.
- Invited to deliver keynote address at Chamber of Commerce Executive Welcome in May 2015 and to present on conversion-centered design for Local Small Business Development Center.
- Founded Tech Tuesday meet-ups to organize regional technologists with average of 15-24 attendees.
- Attained 3K-5K unique visits to StartupLansing.com per month through content marketing and promotion.
FifthRoomStorage.com | Atlanta, GA | 2011-2013
Co-Founder & Lead Developer
Conceptualized & established storage company enabling online inventory management, door-to-door pick-up and delivery, and pay-per-item storage to unburden clients of seasonal & bulky belongings.
Directed 3-person team while building and managing web platform. Drove marketing campaign, CPC initiatives, custom landing page creation, and A/B testing.
- Raised seed funding round, generated 100 new customers in first 4 months of business, and bootstrapped business for the first year.
- Selected from hundreds of applicants for “Flashpoint” lean startup accelerator of Georgia Tech.
McMaster-Carr Supply Company | Atlanta, GA | 2005-2011
National MRO supplier with 2K personnel and revenue of roughly $3B
Manager, Customer Information & Strategy (2009-2011)
Promoted based on track record of successful turnaround management to overhaul operations in struggling department. Managed $1M annual budget, 180K client accounts, and staff of 13.
Implemented analytics to monitor departmental activities and identified areas in need of attention.
- Doubled productivity within 6 months through data-driven performance evaluation.
- Cut invoices open past 60 day 40% by increasing vigilance of sales department and aligning A/R information with customer data. Installed automated system to flag invoices open past 30 days.
- Accelerated professional development and engagement of high-performing team members by sponsoring “Operational Training Group” for cross-departmental training.
- Integrated 2 customer e-procurement platforms with internal systems each month.
Manager, Contact Center (2007-2009)
Streamlined operations and introduced metrics-focused order-processing function. Pioneered branch use of e-commerce web portals for order entry and invoicing.
- Advanced from Trainee (2005-2006) to Supervisor (2006-2007) to Manager through demonstrated abilities in systems management, motivational leadership, and process improvements.
- Sped order velocity 30% and surged productivity 20% through restructuring/process improvements.
- Slashed order processing errors 50% through strategic workflow enhancements.
Master of Business Administration
Emory University, Atlanta, GA
Master of Education
University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN
BA in Economics & Theology
University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT & TECHNICAL PROFICIENCIES
Independent coursework through Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs)
Machine Learning, Data Science, Natural Language Processing, Web Intelligence, Big Data, Human-Computer Interactions